Old October 7th 05, 07:22 PM
rps

I agree, though telling ATC may not even be required but may keep you
safe. Moreover, I think the FAA meant as much based on their
explanation of changes that added the additional language to the AIM
that confused us:

"This [change to the AIM] is for those folks that think a procedure
turn is required unless it meets one of the exceptions which does not
include 'if the aircraft is aligned within 90 degrees of the inbound
course.'"

See http://www.faa.gov/ATPUBS/AIM/Exofchg/exchg3.html, and scroll down
to entry w.

So, the FAA added this language to satisfy people who thought a
procedure turn is required even when no course reversal is required
(e.g., when intercepting the FAC at 89 degrees) at the correct altitude.