Old October 18th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_2_]

Default Anyone towed behind a Cessna BirdDog before?

On Oct 17, 10:21*pm, Scott Alexander
wrote:
A good friend is considering buying a BirdDog for personal use and
have the ability to tow. *Anyone know just how strong a bird dog is as
a towplane?

Is it just as good as a pawnee?

What was the rate of climb you had on tow and what type of ship were
you in?

Thanks!

Texas Soaring Association used L-19s for many years but replaced them
with Pawnees, which are stronger. But the Bird Dogs were popular with
the towpilots for their nice handling, had two seats, good for
training new towpilots, but could have used more power with heavy
gliders on hot Texas days. I don't fly the front end of the rope
myself, but I liked being towed by the Bird Dogs. There is a neat way
to stay in just the right position on tow: line up the horizontal
stabilizer in the "X" made by the wing struts and landing gear, and
you're right where you should be.

p.