Old February 25th 04, 08:02 PM
Nathan Young

Remote prebuys are certainly possible. Ask AOPA for help locating a
good mechanic in the area. Or ask your local mechanic for
suggestions.

On the other hand. A C150/C152 is a very common airplane. I have to
imagine you can find a suitable candidate within your state or the
bordering ones. If you do, work out a deal to fly it to your local
mechanic for the prepurchase inspection.

I would have my mechanic perform an annual inspection on the aircraft
with the explicit instruction that no maintenance is to be performed,
and if the estimate for repairs exceeds $X dollars, the work is to be
stopped. Make sure the mechanic starts with the potential big ticket
items first.

You can also save some effort by doing an AD search/compliance
analysis on the plane. Find the ADs applicable, and then search the
logs to make sure it has been complied with. THEN, make sure the
mechanic actually checks on the plane to make sure the ADs weren't
just pencil whipped.

-Nathan

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:23:29 GMT, Paul Folbrecht
wrote:

I am now getting close to the point where I will be seriously in the
market for an aircraft- most likely a C150 or 152.

I know that I'd be a fool to buy any airplane that I haven't had
inspected by a qualified A&P that is not, of course, affiliated with the
seller. But, let's say I travel a fair distance to another city to look
at an aircraft- I obviously don't know anybody there. I do not have a
pet A&P I can take along on my whim. Does it make any sense to simply
contact a local FBO, conduct a brief "interview" with A&P candidate, and
then let him have at it and pay him? Is there such a thing pilots will
"typically do" in such a situation?

And, on that note, what is reasonable cost for a pre-buy on such aircraft?

~Paul
~PP-SEL