Old January 11th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Shameless request for King radio Tech Support

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
7) As of Spring 2004, I was under the impression that installation of an
IFR approved GPS was now considered a minor alteration, so that in
certified aircraft it could be accomplished with a logbook entry. If not
otherwise prohibited by my experimental operating limitations, is there
any reason that I could not install the 89B (with the proper remote
accessories and up to date database) and use it in a /G role. Anyone out
there have experience with this issue in a experimental-amatuer built
aircraft?

It is my understanding that even an ex-am built aircraft that to be IFR
legal the installation of the GPS has to be done to the TSO order by a
"qualified" installer.

I thought this was all a little strange because while I could build a
NAV/Com and glideslope receiver out of coconuts and bailing wire and install
it and fly IFR with it. I can't order a brand new Garmin 430, install it and
legally fly IFR with it.