Old September 29th 03, 05:12 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

chad, in comparison with a superpower, no other power can do much.
There's no point in saying 'the French' are useless because they
can't do what the US can.

But there *is* a lot of use in pointing out that they *can't* do
something that someone else was claiming. Saying that they have
significant "expeditionary capability" when they certainly do not does
nothing useful except feed some egos.

Quality of a country is not judged on those kind of arguments, I am
sure you will see if you think a bit about it.

No, I judge the French on many other issues. But pretending that they
can do something they can't as a counter to those issues is just silly.

The US, and countries the world over, make do with what they have
at the time. If they can't do, they look for another solution.

Yes, they buy the stuff they need, or learn how to do without. But
claiming that they can do something necessary (exert meaningful power
overseas) when they can't (not enough transport) is delusion, pure and
simple.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.