Old October 8th 03, 11:17 PM
ThomasH

Greg wrote:

Has anybody tried the Sennheiser ANRs? I have used Sennheiser
broadcast equipment and it is great, but I rarely see anything about
their aviation headsets and nobody I know has a pair so any feedback
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Greg

I am using them for years, I have 3 models:

HMEC-25: expensive, super light with ANR performs somewhat better
than passive model. Perfect for short flights and trips
if you like to carry headsets with you in your luggage.
Also my wife loves them because she can keep her ear rings
on! Not satisfactory if battery power is down! Passive
only suppression is about 16dB only.

HMEC300: successor to the 200 model, it is an astonishing product,
on pair with Bose X for a fraction of a price. I switch off
ANR during taxi if I will listen to the engine, its that good.
Excellent in passive only mode (lost of power,) contrary to
Bose which tends to amplify basses than due to the bass reflex
concept. Comfortable, excellent compromise between pressure
on head and stability.

HMEC100: a passive version of HMEC300, for my casual passengers.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/products/

Of course, the degree of "good or bad" is in the eye of the beholder.
My friend who owns some 6, 7 models incl. Pilot Avionics, Lightspeed,
Telex, Peltor etc. was not happy with them and got the HMEC200 on eBay
and... stayed with them. COntrary to that, one of my instructors told
me that bought HMEC300 and was "so unhappy" (not specified in detail)
that he returned them and took the ANC David Clark, what in turn has
astonished me...

I tried out many makes and models while flying with people and
I still prefer the Sennheisers, the more that the company uses their
acclaimed and Emmy awarded mike and headphones technology. My
friend dislikes Germans, and so he took the Lightspeed G3, which
I tested than. He was very silent after a flight with my HMEC300
and I was also silent after flying his G3. I did not wanted comment
on his new toy in his presence. His G3 had a nasty distorted voice
(mike problem) and a strange whizzing and white noise in the
background. I can listen to classical music on my HMEC300, just
as you can on a Bose/X, but for a price! I also hate the mushy
gigantic earmuffs on Lightspeeds. Do not turn your head too fast,
or you might lose them!

I would recommend to try out a few models, exchange headsets if
you fly with friends, and make up your own mind based on practical
experience! Better than only some impressive booth demos by Bose
or Lightspeed! They can be so convincing...

Thomas