Old November 7th 03, 03:52 PM
Dale

In article ,
wrote:

IIRC, unless you're dealing with a trainer type, a "Letter of
Authorization" is required to fly the more powerful & faster types,
whether they are over 12,500 lbs. or not & an L of A is essentially a
Type Rating. You don't get "typed" in a military aircraft except for
cases where it has a civil version. Why avoid a Type or L of A anyway?

Is that in the FARs anywhere? I've "heard" that but haven't found any
proof.

With a hi-perf/complex/tailwheel endorsement I should be able to hop in
a Mustang and go around the patch..legally. Not smart, but legal.

As I understand the LOAs or for those a/c in which a type rating would
be required but no civil variant exists.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html