Old March 20th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gert Bass

Default Will circular runways ever take off?

Its a cute concept... But no one has discussed Instrument approaches.

I'd like to see that discussed, too. But I see enormouse safety
potential there - as it is basically an endless runway.

We only need the tight vertical and lateral guidance for precision
approaches BECAUSE of a defined TD point and limited runway length. As
long as you can fly a nice DME arc around that tower you don't even need
vertical guidance as long as you descend slow enough - sooner or later
you will see the runway - and even if you don't you would touch down
maybe a little hard but on the "start" of the runway with all the
distance in the world to remain. Laterally you should still be rather
precise, but then again not really, because if you aren't lined up
perfectly just keep that arc going, correct a bit and you are dead
centerline.

This requires a completely different viewpoint. I would say it
practically eliminates the need for a go-around - because why would you?

I don't see the advantage for wind really, but that's not a big issue in
the first place.