Old September 24th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default US SSA Contest Pilot Opinion Poll

I to really perfer assigned tasks when the conditions allow for it,
and that is why for years I flew my HP16T in the regional 15 meter
category. Of course at the time Sports Class used strictly PoST
Tasks.

I really like the change from PoST to MAT tasks, and in unpredictable
conditions Turn Area Tasks aren't bad either. This year I flew Sports
Class for only my 3rd time (1st in a 1-26, 2nd in a National Sports
Class). My reason for changing from 15 meter was two fold. 1st with
the ASW20's and LS6's being replaced with even high performing ships
it was just about impossible for me to come even close to placing
anywhere but last on the score sheet, even though that was where I
typically was anyway. And 2nd even the 15 meter class has moved away
from AST tasks. At our region 8 regionals this year TAT tasks were
called every day for both 15 meter and Sport Class. For all but the
last day I think this was appropriate. However the last day was
forcast to be the best conditions of the contest and I thought it
would have easily supported a AST task for the 15 meter and an
Identical MAT task (using the same turn points) for the Sports Class.
I would like to see a few more Assigned tasked called when good
conditions exist. And MAT's that are laid out like an Assigned task
for Sports Class.

Brian