Old May 3rd 18, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Recovery by Spot

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 12:21:43 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Many times in crashes, batteries become disconnected so things like radios do not work. This is why Spot/InReach are great as they have their own power source and leave a bread crumb trail.

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 12:12:31 PM UTC-7, Wojciech Ścigała wrote:
Gents,

You forgot about one more device we all have installed: VHF radio. Tune
in 121.5 MHZ and ask for a message relay. All airliners monitor 121,500
so the "coverage" is very good.

Wojciech

This is why I carry a backup emergency radio. Anyone who flies cross-country should, too. If you have to walk out, you have a radio to take with you. And if your onboard radio dies in flight, you've got a backup. This is pretty routine for IFR pilots.

Tom