Old April 9th 17, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Today in Europe we have good flying weather. There will be a lot of gliders
airborne.

Europe is pretty much the same size as the USA. Take a look at what has
been achieved with Flarm tracking he

Take a look at spot the gliders around 1400 GMT on any good day and you
will see the extent of the coverage across Europe including hilly places
like the alps. http://live.glidernet.org/#c=20.32052,-22.77151&z=3

With a $10 high gain aerial on the tracking unit you might be surprised how
few would give good coverage. If a comp sets tasks up to say 600k O/R then
it might be possible to get full coverage in all directions with just 9 or
10 units. In the UK and across Europe these are set up by enthusiasts
because they like fiddling with such things. The Raspberry PI code is
freely available and automatically uploads the results to the net for
public consumption.

Or go here http://ognrange.onglide.com/# to see the coverage that has been
achieved in Europe so far. I’ll bet there is a wider coverage possible in
the US than you think.

Or go here to see what log book features we use at Booker
http://ktrax.kisstech.ch/logbook/ enter EGTB and see what we did yesterday

Jim