Old March 27th 05, 03:18 AM
Raymond Marshall

Ed Rasimus wrote:
You don't say which model of the F-4 you were flying. Big differences
in handling between slatted and hard-wing aircraft. Ditto for
long-nose gun-bearers compared to pug-nose varieties.

I suppose I really need to elaborate for the group since I
haven't been a regular poster here. I flew F-18Cs from Lemoore
in VFA-147 for 3 years. Made two cruises and survived a little
over 300 traps. I've got about 960 hours in the F-18 and am
currently going through the USAF Test Pilot School.

As part of the course, I got a single flight qualitative
evaluation of the QF-4E. The airplane was from Holloman AFB,
serial number 71-087. The jet came complete with a huge auto
pilot control panel to enable the drone control station to fly
it. Fortunately I didn't get to evaluate that part of the
airplane. I did get to fly from the front seat, do everything
from start up, taxi and takeoff to 4 landings. I took off,
climbed up and looked at the dirty stall characteristics, did
some of the advanced handling characteristic maneuvers that were
interesting, and also did a couple 30 degree dive bomb runs. I
finished the flight with a short low level. I did 2 flap down
touch and gos (I think this is what the navy versions of the F-4
called half flaps), a simulated single engine touch and go, and a
full flap full stop. I used the drag chute on the full stop
which was pretty cool.

Now I've got to write a short report on my evaluation of the F-4
and what I learned flying it. Don't get something for nothing...
So what did I learn? My first impression was that the pitch
control was very sensitive. At higher airspeeds it was very
little movements that gave you 5 gs or -1 gs. Rolling in and out
of turns really highlighted this to me. At slower speeds the
pitch had a lot of lag and my inputs tended to overshoot my
desired target.

But, having landed C, D and E models on runways for many years without
the benefit of a ball, I'll contribute that the Phantom was a pretty

As for landings, I found that the jet was very honest with speed
changes. It was very easy to set the throttles, and almost
instantly speed would be stabilized... it was mushy feeling
control wise but I always felt like I had good control. I think
the difference was the switch from up and away with pitch so
sensitive to small movements, and then in the landing pattern you
had to use large movements to make the jet respond. The
simulated single engine landing was almost a non event. I really
liked the AOA tones, once I had made a couple landings. I could
also see how they'd be useful for fighting the jet once you had
some experience.

Now, get in the back seat and try the no-flap straight-in. You'll love
the part from two miles out until just over the overrun where you
can't see the runway at all.

Funny that you mention that... we had a layer we might have had
to fly above and the IP debated putting in the handheld GPS they
use with area boundaries because it blocked the only small hole
he had to see the runway from the back seat. He said 'I suppose
you're not going to kill me are you?' and then put the GPS in.

V/r,

Ray Marshall