Old July 1st 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

Default Getting the MOCA

"Jose" wrote in message
. com...

tee hee

There are two problems I see here, one is that the laws are not written in
the FARs (or CFR). They are written ad hoc case by case after each crash,
loosely modeled on the FARs. This is just one example of how what is
written is not what is followed.

But the other issue is the definition of the word "use". You can =use= a
ham sandwich. You just can't rely on it (i.e. turn off all the other
equipment and divine your way in IMC using the holes of the swiss chesse
to guide you). And if the ham sandwich (or portable GPS) differs in its
readings from the approved devices, you are required to use the approved
devices' readings.

The rule that covers this is the same rule that covers the requirment to
have the IFR equipment on in the first place. (or, let me ask you - do
you think it is legal to fly an airplane in IMC under IFR with the full
complement of approved instrumentation, with all of it in the OFF
position?

No. But nobody is advocating that.