Old October 5th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
C Gattman[_3_]

Default Official word: Runway Incursion vs Surface Incident

On Oct 4, 4:05*pm, BeechSundowner wrote:

I believe it supports everybody's position that said you were wrong in the first place.

I believe you are correct. I have provided the exact official
definition and source of both runway incursions and surface incidents,
as well as a statement of clarification of what the term "runway
incursion" is intended to mean, as well as material that specifically
states what -isn't- an incursion. Nobody else provided that, so I
asked the FSDO. They gave me authoritative source material and I
shared it here.

Apparently, "everybody" was unable or unwilling to do that. But I'm
not out here for some sort of forum-bragging-rights penis-measuring
contest, and what you think you know doesn't change my responsibility
to teach what I believe to my students until I have sufficient
authoritative source material to teach otherwise. Some Guy on the
Internet and His Buddies doesn't count for "authoritative source
material," and a URL doesn't either given the circumstances of being
told otherwise by several professional sources including the FAA. You
guys made it personal. I don't care about that.

But you are an instructor and I am a measly pilot that gave you the exact same verbiage in an FAA reference that I gave for runway
incursions.

Do you feel better about yourself now?

I'm sure General Aviation is much safer overall now that we can all
agree on the bureaucratic distinction between a Runway Incursion and
Surface Incident. It'll never change what I teach my students, though,
which is: Don't cross onto the taxiway without clearance.

If you have a problem with THAT, contact the nearest FSDO.

-c