Old January 6th 04, 05:23 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Peter R." wrote in message
Right now there is a pretty intense lake-enhanced band of snow going on to
the north of my home airport. Twenty four to thirty six inches (0.6 to 1
meter) of snow is expected in that narrow region over the next day. The
forecasters included lightning and thunder in their discussion of this

band
of snow.

I understand why there is the forecast of thunder and lightning activity,
what they call "thundersnow," during this snow event but I am curious

about
the turbulence.

Could an intense lake effect band of snow produce destructive turbulence
equal to that found inside a strong thunderstorm? My guess would be no,
but I am certainly no expert. Anyone?

--
Peter

It is the same process as any thunderstorm. The potential for turbulence is
lessend (somewhat) because the colder air can hold less moisture (which
equals energy). We are still talking about convective storms so there will
be plenty of vertical shear which equates to turbulence.

Mike
MU-2