Old January 6th 04, 06:22 PM
Rick Durden

Peter,

A thunderstorm is a thunderstorm, regardless of surface air
temperature, if it possesses the necessary energy and lifting to make
a thunderstorm, then it is a thunderstorm no matter whether the precip
it spews forth hits the ground as rain or snow. Don't forget that
summer thunderstorms are putting out snow above the freezing level.
Any thunderstorm, regardless of surface temperature can, and will,
destroy an airplane. The old rule of thumb is that the taller the
cell and the faster moving the line, the more intense the
thunderstorm. If there is enough energy to create a thunderstorm in
cold weather, than the chances are it's going to be a nasty sucker.
But it's okay, the baby thunderstorms are only just big enough to pull
an airplane apart.

All the best,
Rick

Peter R. wrote in message ...
Right now there is a pretty intense lake-enhanced band of snow going on to
the north of my home airport. Twenty four to thirty six inches (0.6 to 1
meter) of snow is expected in that narrow region over the next day. The
forecasters included lightning and thunder in their discussion of this band
of snow.

I understand why there is the forecast of thunder and lightning activity,
what they call "thundersnow," during this snow event but I am curious about
the turbulence.

Could an intense lake effect band of snow produce destructive turbulence
equal to that found inside a strong thunderstorm? My guess would be no,
but I am certainly no expert. Anyone?

--
Peter