Old June 25th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default Clearance on hold, hold for release

will alibrandi wrote:

I don't know for sure but that might be right out of the 7110. Having
spent lots of time in the tower when I worked in airport ops, I've
seen this happen many times. The controller calls approach on the land
line to activate the flight plan once you get your clearance. Once you
taxi out & you're waiting at the hold short line (and tell the tower
you're ready) the controller then calls approach again for the
release. It's usually done within 30 seconds of a pilot's calling
ready, but then again I worked at a small Class D airport so a busy
field would probably take longer.

Nothing in FAAO 7110.65 requires the call for the release to wait until the
aircraft is ready for takeoff. That's a lousy procedure wherever it's done.