Old August 24th 04, 10:11 PM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , BUFDRVR
writes
Dave Eadsforth wrote:

What I meant to ask about was
a tactic I read about a while ago where Combat Wings would shake out
into individual Groups in trail at IP when a concentration of bombs was
required for a particular target.

I'm not sure I understand the formation you're talking about. At typical B-17
formation (after early 1943) consisted of three groups (18-20 aircraft) flying
line a breast and staggered by altitude. There were times (I believe this was
done at Regensberg) when one of the three groups would fall in behind in order
to narrow the bombing pattern. Is this what you're thinking of?

Thanks - yes, that was how I interpreted the brief description I read.
I did not glean from the description whether it was a regular manoeuvre,
and if it was, were there metrics to support its success?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Cheers,

Dave