Old November 26th 03, 01:05 PM
Julian Scarfe

"John Harper" wrote in message
news:1069786900.839440@sj-nntpcache-3...

Actually there are some changes as a result of Tenerife. For
example in the UK the word "cleared" is used only in "cleared
for takeoff". Other uses (e.g. for taxi) use some other word,
"permission" iirc.

That's not quite the case, though you're on the right lines. In the UK (and
in other states that adhere to ICAO phraseology) the words *"take-off"* are
only used as part of a clearance to take off. Prior to that the word
"departure" is used:

ATC: "G-ABCD after departure turn left heading ya de ya de ya... " (might
include an IFR clearance)
Aircraft:"After departure turn left heading ya de ya de ya... G-ABCD"
Aircraft: "G-ABCD ready for departure"
ATC: "G-ABCD cleared for take-off"
Aircraft: "Cleared for take-off, G-ABCD"

You're correct that there's no "clearance" to taxi but I think that's the
same everywhere.

So there's no problem with reading an IFR clearance, since there's no taboo
on "clearance" or "cleared".

The issue identified at Tenerife was, to borrow Ron's transcript, not the
CLEARED, but the TAKE-OFF

KLM: KLM 4805 is now ready for takeoff, and we're waiting for our ATC
clearance.
TWR: KLM 8705 you are cleared to the papa beacon climb to and maintain
flight level 290 right turn after TAKE-OFF proceed with heading 040
until
intercepting the 305 radial from Las Palmas VOR.
KLM: Roger sir, we're cleared to the Papa Beacon flight level 90, right
turn out
050 until intercepting the 305 and we're now at TAKE-OFF .
TWR: OK. Stand by for take-off, I will call you.
PAN: We're still taxiing down the runway, Clipper 1736

As well as the potential confusion over the tower's use of "take-off" in the
clearance (which was at the time perfectly acceptable practice, BTW), the
second use of the words by the crew would or should ring alarm bells in a UK
ATCO's mind as to whether the aircraft had properly understood that they
were to hold. Evidently if raised some doubt in the tower controller's
mind, but not enough for him to demand an acknowledgement.

Julian Scarfe