Old January 22nd 04, 09:42 PM
Glenn Westfall

After I posted this message I started thinking about it. Would this
work? Plug in a headphone adapter that goes from the big size to the
small walkman size in an unused intercom jack. Run an extension cable
from the adapter to the mic in on a recorder or video camera. That
shoud do the trick correct? The headphone jack of aviation headsets
are standard size and can be converted to the smaller size.

On 22 Jan 2004 12:26:06 -0800, (Andrew
Sarangan) wrote:

"Ben Smith" wrote in message ...
Assuming your aircraft has an intercom, you can make a direct-connect

cable
using Gene Whitt's directions found he
http://tinyurl.com/36x3c

I've made one of these cables, and they work good. I don't mess with tapes,
though. I bought an Olympus DM-1 digital recorder.. With the included 64MB
Smart Media, it will record for 10 hours on best quality. Double that if
you get a 128MB card. (Which is the max you can use). It also plays back
MP3/WMA format music files too.

Here's a small .wav clip from one of my recordings:
http://tinyurl.com/2ycds

I record all my flights with students using a tiny digital recorder. I
have a very simple system that works wonderfully. You don't have to
tap into the intercom system. It is so simple that I record every
single flight, whether it is useful or not. I have written an article
about the setup on my website.

http://www.geocities.com/asarangan/aviation (and click on Cockpit
Voice Recorders).