Old April 4th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Unusual attitude recovery advice sought

On Apr 3, 1:00 pm, "Barney Rubble" wrote:
That's the best advice. I once got into the start of a graveyard spiral on a
VERY turbulent day when I took my eye off the ball for a split second to
tune the radio. When i glanced back I noticed the plane was 90 degrees off
heading and the VSI was pegged downwards. It happened in less than 2
seconds, I kid you not. Instinct took over and I levelled the wings and got
the altitude back on track before the controller even noticed. Boy did I get
the cold chills. I was single pilot in heavy IMC with the rian beating on
the windshield, moderate turb PIREPS all around and minimums below. Not a
goot time to let things slide. I was back on alt and heading before the
controller even noticed.... I'm pleased I practiced UA and smooth control of
the plane.

- Barney

Though I have a reputation as a Luddite, I will chime in that an
autopilot is the best friend a Single Pilot flying IFR can possess.

Even if you hand fly most of the time, it helps plenty to hand over
the straight and level chore for a moment to fetch a chart or write
down a frequency (which hardly ever matches what you're expecting
based on the charts).

Dan Mc