Old October 9th 17, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default how does one find a co-owner?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the gliding community. This is my first post on RAS, though I have been reading for a few months.

I'm a power pilot transitioning to gliders. I have not yet soloed a glider, but I have enjoyed my glider flights more than any other aviation experience I have had to date. It has bitten me hard, and I'm hooked.

I am looking to buy a beginner-friendly glider in the $30k-$40k range. Something like an LS-4, LS-3, Discus, Mosquito, Mini-Nimbus, DG-300, etc. I have no intent to fly comps yet, but I want something comfortable, safe, forgiving, and as good performance as I can get within those parameters.

For financial and logistical reasons I would like to own the aircraft in partnership with another pilot, ideally with someone more experienced that I am.

I am a new member of the BRSS, where I would intend to hanger the glider, and live nearly three hours away. With my job and family obligations I will not be able to fly every weekend, thus the glider will spend a good bit of time sitting in the hangar. It seems a shame to hoard a nice airplane that another pilot could be enjoying on those weekends when I am consumed with t-ball games, cross country meets, and events like that.

I don't know anyone in my local area (Kingsport, TN) who flies gliders, and I am still meeting BRSS club members.

For those of your that have been in this type of arrangement, do you have any advice to offer me? How did you find a co-owner? Is this an arrangement that you would recommend?

Thanks-
Matt