Old July 31st 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Solar Aircraft

wrote:
On Jul 31, 9:33 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
oilsardine wrote:
this is coolhttp://www.solarimpulse.com/

Cool idea but I give little credence to any of this stuff until a
flying prototype is built. There are just too many hucksters out
there that know how use computer graphics and build a web site.

How about a 158 mile cross country using solar power. This is what
the Sunseeker has done...used battery power to takeoff and climb to
altitude and then solar power to cruise. This plane previously flew
coast to coast using electric power to launch and motor between
thermals.

http://www.solar-flight.com/Page2.htm

Looks like that qualifies as a flying prototype to me. I wish them luck. But
if it is relying on solar power what is keeping it from going further than
158 miles? Or is it still running on batteries and being partially recharged
with the solar?

My problem isn't so much with the concept of solar powered flght as it is
that even with all the R&D there hasn't been an significant leap from
lead/acid.