Old May 31st 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Default Aero engineer for designing homebuilt aircraft.

Peter Dohm wrote:
/snip/

A mass produced product, especially one that requires government
certification to be sold, requires a tremendous investment to reach the
market; and then may be a failure if the market research was not accurate.
And accurate market research is extremely difficult for any new product--and
much worse for a product to be introduced at a future time. /snip/
Peter

This reminds me of chatting to an old boy about this year's Luscombe
fold up, couple days back when we were sitting in the shade at a recent
flyin.

I mentioned that the most financially successful part of this local
attempt (ultimately successful) to certificate a Luscombe revival, was
the wind-up auction sale, at which (for example) a bunch of aero engines
sold for more than the Lycoming wholesale price...and like that...

His insight: "Why would anybody want to spend millions to certify
an Ugly Cessna 172 fly-alike, when the pretty Cessna 172 is available?"
He continued, "The 1949 Luscombe was ugly, and the new design was just
as ugly."

I guess that's your marketing point...

Brian W