Old October 5th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default 61.56 BFR Whaaaat?

On Oct 5, 4:48*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Dallas wrote:
c. *Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this
section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless,
since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in
which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has --

Sorry... I can usually decode the FARs but my decoder ring broke
trying to unravel this one.

That sort of language is a result of someone trying to cram too many things
into one sentence. I've noticed a mix of good and bad writing styles in the
FAA regulations. But I doubt they'll rewrite that regulation just to make
it easier to understand.

Anyway, assume the pilot wants to act as PIC on December 24, 2009. One
month before December 2009 is November 2009. So 24 months before December
2009 is December 2007. So if the pilot had a BFR anytime on or after
December 1, 2007 (e.g. December 12, 2007) they may act as PIC any day of
calendar month December 2009. Hence till December 31, 2009.

I've been assuming that the BFR had to be accomplished like the FAA
usual "last day of the month". *i.e. *Last BFR December 12, 2007 -
Next BFR before December 31, 2009?

Your understanding appears correct and as far as I can tell, and is
equivalent to the tortured FAA language.

In my dealings with the FAA over 50 years in aviation I have
discovered what I call the FAA regulatory syndrome. :-))

I'll try and sum it up this way for any uninitiated among us :-)

"If you understand Part A, you haven't yet read Part A-1b which
negates Part A...IF....you qualify under Sub Part B, but ONLY if you
haven't yet read and complied with Sub Part C which refers you to Part
57g in another regulation ."

It has to do with authority. You see, if THEY understand it and YOU
don't, the purpose for establishing the term "governing authority" has
been satisfied and the proper structure of power is in place and they
are at peace when they arrive at the FAA office for work each day. YOU
are now completely subservient to the regulations by the fact that
your ability to function in the environment covered by the regulation
requires that you spend the rest of your life and possibly a bit more
trying to understand it.

Therefore, the FAA is ALWAYS there to look down upon you from their
perch of complete authority and understanding, to advise you and
perform other actions suitable to be performed by those "in charge"
for "those less fortunate". The quality of this assistance I have
noted on occasion, unfortunately seems to be directly related to the
proximity of the FAA person asked a question about the regulations to
a rather large and heavy book that explains the regulations to THEM,
for you see............THEY don't understand the damn things
Dudley Henriques