Old May 8th 04, 10:02 AM
Keith Butcher

I bought the official strategy guide for 2002 and thought it was useless.
If I could find it I would send it to you for free but I think I must have
chucked it. The only good thing was that the company sent me the wrong
version and it had a copy of the game with it, they didn't reply to my
e-mail so I had 2 legal copies running.

The manual that came with Fly!, another sim, was very detailed. I have seen
this in bargain bins very cheap recently. If it's got the manual it would
be worth spending a few pounds (dollars) just for that.

There are many websites that go through the basics. Have a look at

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/
http://www.tony.smiths.btinternet.co...e_tutorial.htm

"DE" wrote in message
I'm having the same problem. The issue with the in-game help is that there
are LOTS of instructions on how to operate the GPS' many buttons and

access
its many pages, but very little effort put into the 'when and why' you use
it. More 'when and why' are infinitely more accessible for newcomers.

I recently discovered the dusty box of an older PC flight sim called

Flight
Unlimited when clearing out my attic. It was developed by Looking Glass
Technologies (who are sadly no longer in business). Their nicely printed
(shock horror) paper manual described all the instruments not only in
technical manual operation terms but also included sections on when and

why
you would use them in certain situations. This is lacking for the most

part
in all versions of Microsoft's sim.

I have FS2004 and can plainly see it's a superb flight sim but I'm finding
learning how to fly within it more of a chore than a challenge. I'm sure
learning to fly in the real world is more fun than this?

At the risk of appearing cynical I can imagine that the kind of detail and
instruction mentioned above is restricted to the "Official Strategy Guide"
publications that accompany many games these days. Does anyone have this
guide and is it worth the price?

-DE

"Dave Schwartz" wrote in message
et...
Hi all. I am trying very hard to learn the relationship between the

GPS,
Flight Planner, ATC and Auto Pilot, but it is not easy. I have read and
re-read the FS Manual a number of times, but what is happening is that I

am
hardly using the program any more because I am spending so much time

reading
the manual.

Is there any really good site with FS tutorials and downloadable

flights,
where I can learn how to use these 4 features and how they interrelate

with
each other?

--
Dave Schwartz