Old September 21st 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Backer

Default First Glider Purchase

Well, I don't know about the pundit part, but.....

Hi Brian,

I have been flying gliders for 23 years and have owned 4 gliders. They
include (in order of ownership):

Astir CS
ASW 17
ASW 22
Ventus C

My advice to you would be to buy the most modern glider that you can
afford. Unless you will be storing the glider assembled in a hanger,
insist on automatic control connections. When I had the 22, I assembled
it every time I flew as a hanger was not available. That is 12 control
connections that have to be made perfectly and pinned every time.
Believe me, going from 12 control connections to zero is a life changing
experience. The gliders in the 18 meter class achieve the performance
of the older open class ships but are so much easier to deal with. I
wouldn't let flaps be a barrier. With a few dual flights, they become a
non-issue. If you are going to be flying weekdays, you should be able
to find a partnership in a Ventus C (much nicer flying than the earlier
A or B models), LS8-18, DG-800, ASW 24, ASW 27, LAK 17 or similar ships.
These ships should come with a good clamshell trailer. That also makes a
huge difference(especially as we age). Finally, I have flown in a
Stemme and I must say that is probably more complexity than you want to
deal with. Preflight takes about 45 minutes. I used to have a Piper
Turbo Lance, and the Stemme is way more complex than that.

Good Luck,

Bob

brian d wrote:
Hello Pundits,

Now that I am retired I have decided to live a little before its to
late....no more I will do X Y and Z NEXT YEAR. I first went solo in a
glider at the Midland Gliding club in 1976 and then solo on power the
same year. Power flying quickly lost its attraction and I didnt
complete my licence but my first love was always gliding .
I have not done any gliding for a number of years and intend buying my
first glider in the next few months....the question is which one....and
whether or not to go for outright ownership or a syndicate machine.

My shortlist is now as follows: Max budget £35K

FIRST CHOICE ASW22 I am told that the best version is the BL. I
would welcome any other opinions as to whether this is true or not !!
all though the thought of a field landing in something with this much
span is off putting £10k for a fifth share in a syndicate that only
flew 80 hours last year is attractive.
I should add that I personally DONT WANT TO FLY AT WEEKENDS. so I am
quite marketable myself.
I of course accept that I will not be a good enough pilot to jump
straight into something with an LD of 60/1 and a 22/24 Metre span after
a weekends refresher at Church Stretton.
The plan would be to do an intensive 2 week tailor made course in the
UK ( SUGGESTIONS AS TO EXACTLY WHERE ARE ALSO WELCOME) and then have
six weeks.... or more if advised... at somewhere like Fuentemilanos in
Spain where i understand I might get 30 hours flying EVERY week if I
book in May/June next year !!
It might be that even this level of intensive instruction and practice
wouldnt be enough and I hope that at 58 years old I2 am mature enough
to get into an ASW22 when I am ready as opposed to when I am the only
one that thinks I am ready.

SECOND CHOICE

A quarter share in a STEMME ST V10

Probably the easiest option with all the advantages of long distance "
go look and see" soaring, self launching independance, virtually
guaranteed SAFE engine restarts and near certain back to base return
trips home at the end of a day thats as long as you want it to
be...only disadvantage iffy ground handling.

THIRD CHOICE

A LAK 12

For outright ownership...lots of bang for the buck ! cheap to buy, very
strong a great long distance tourer although not a competition machine ;
the main disadvantage appears to be that the single piece wings weigh in
at 240llbs each and the trailer is as long as a bowling alley.
Despite being cheap the preparation to fly it would follow the same
plan as the ASW22, two weeks in England and 4/6 weeks in Spain.

FOURTH CHOICE

ASW 20L
For outright ownership.
this would keep everything nice and simple....which is probably why its
the last on my list.

Well you will all be pleased to know that I have come to the end of my
first post...any helpfull opinions would be much appreciated.

Regards brian d