Old March 13th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve - KDMW

Default Residue under fuselage from breather?

On Mar 11, 8:16 pm, "Sweendawg" wrote:
I own a 2004 DA40 (my first plane) and on the left side under the
engine is a breather tube and some sort of overflow line for oil. I
noticed pushing the plane in yesterday that there is a sooty residue
under the airplane, only on the left side. I went an looked at another
DA40 of the same year and maybe a little less flown and didn't see
nearly as much of the blackish soot underneath.

I've got two questions:

1) Is this normal?
2) What may have caused it?

I've been flying in the last six weeks cold weather, and Diamond
suggests runing for five minutes after start at 1500 RMP, however I
usually lean it back about an inch (of travel on the lean lever) after
it starts, and during taxi to the run-up area. I had the oil changed
about 40 horus ago and am runnnig winter rated AeroShell.

Anyone have any thougths?

You can keep the oil staining to a minimum by not topping off the
sump. By FAA reg, engines must perform normally in all attitiudes and
at all altitudes with the sump half empty. I keep my plane half full
plus 1 quart and my belly stays nice and clean.

Mike Busch made the same point in an Avweb article a while back.