Old November 24th 04, 10:00 PM
BTIZ

Mike.. a good response with only one error..

The FAA does not require you to log any flights...
you are required to log flights to show proof of recent currency... example,
3 landings in last 90 days to carry passengers.. or night landing currency..
and you are required to log any flight time used to accumulate required
hours towards an additional rating..

so in reality.. you could log what you need to show 3 landings in 90 days,
or 6 approaches in 6 months with holding and tracking for an IFR currency..
and that would be it..

you would not be required to log flights even if you flew every day.
FAR 61.51 (a)

BT

"Mike Stringfellow" wrote in message
om...
I raised the same question when recently recertifying to overcome
restrictions on my foreign licence.

As far as I can tell, the FAA requires you to log all flights whether
or not these are cross-country flights. Cross-country hours for
glider flights appears on FAA application forms and is obviously
relevant (even though it's not a requirement for a US glider rating).
However, there is no definition of glider cross-country other than
that in 61.1, which requires a landing at a field other than the
departure one.

I pointed out to my local FSDO that glider cross-country flights
normally do not involve a landing at other than the departure point,
so how do we log them? They told me that if I was flying out of
gliding range of my home field, I could consider that a cross-country
flight in a glider and log it that way. However, only cross-country
flights that involve a landing away from home can be used for airplane
or rotorcraft ratings (25 or 50 miles). you need to make sure you log
this too.

This is a gray area open to interpretation, so expect dfferent answers
depending on who you ask.

Mike

ASW 20 (& Cessna 172)