Old May 24th 05, 06:01 AM
Roger

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:35:09 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

("AES" wrote)
Have to decide which wars are really worth fighting.

Energy .................1977

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/...ps_energy.html
(This difficult effort will be the "moral equivalent of war" --)

Primary Sources: The President's Proposed Energy Policy
Jimmy Carter delivered this televised speech on April 18, 1977.

The sad part is we had a really good start on conserving energy.
People were moving to smaller cars, better mileage, learning to
conserve, car pool... and a whole list of things.

We really reduced the amount of fuel we were using. The result was
gas became cheap(relatively speaking) and plentiful. People went back
to demanding big cars and trucks so the automakers dutifully started
building them and why not. We wanted them and they make more money on
them. Car pooling was too inconvenient, as were most of the other
methods of conserving and ... here we are and for that we can't blame
the government. Now if, instead of conserving they build subsidized
refineries to increase the output... Then we can blame the
government..

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com