Old June 19th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

Default Emergency Landing-Engine DEAD

On 2008-06-18, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Most of the Bo (and other higher-performance singles) never practice
engine-out emergencies. They also tend to fly approach at far too-high
airspeed.

In the case of an engine out, a higher approach speed might be
necessary. IIRC, I used to be on short final in an S-35 Bonanza at 65
knots IAS with full flaps, but I had some power on. The S-35 manual
cautioned the pilot to approach 10 knots faster in the case of engine
failure, to have sufficient energy for the flare. The sink rate in a
power off approach is also higher, it really does look like the ground
is coming up to smite you. If you've never landed one power off before
this could be a bit startling and induce the pilot to flare too early.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.