Old January 15th 21, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kenward1000

Default Student pilot on tow versus a blimp

Thought about this event recently. Beautiful fall Sunday afternoon in '89, Fremont, CA. I'd earned solo privs for a SGS 2-33, building up time towards the flight test. The 49ers were playing at home, someone is flying passengers around the SF Bay in an ex-Fuji blimp. I hear it's not cheap. Went to 'Sky Soaring' for a tow. This was after Brett Willat closed 'Sky Sailing' and moved to SoCal. The crusty boss, Kevin Geffen (ex-Navy instructor), said to me "Listen up! If you see the blimp, don't you get anywhere near that damn thing! That pilot won't hesitate to call the FAA on your ass, then your flying days will be over!" Gulp. Yessir. The tow pilot was Pawwl from Texas. We took off around noon and headed for Lake Elizabeth. On the way, I saw the blimp coming at 10 oclock high. Waited for Pawwl to turn right, to avoid crossing the blimp's path; he didn't. Moved the 2-33 way to the left, requesting him to turn right; he didn't. I can picture it to this day, the blimp getting bigger and bigger in the canopy, otherwise not moving. Can see people, we're that close. No radio. I'm thinking mid-air, w/o a chute.
Started really yanking on the tow rope, trying desperately to get his attention. Whew, finally he turned right, we did a big 360 to let the blimp go by, proceeded to the lake. After landing, Pawwl came looking for me. He said "Dammit! All your jerking on the tow rope was screwing up my photographs! Do you know how hard it is to fly a tow plane with the stick between your knees, one arm braced AND operating a manual zoom camera?! Never do that again!!" Then he stomped off.