Old January 18th 21, 03:01 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2G View Post
On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 6:42:52 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 4:27:57 PM UTC-8, Mark Mocho wrote:
Walt-

I believe it's "Discretion is the better part of valor."

"Digression" means to change the subject.

Oh, wait. This is RAS. Sorry, my bad.

ยง 91.113 Right-of-way rules: Except water operations.
(a) Inapplicability. This section does not apply to the operation of an aircraft on water.

(b) General. When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft. When a rule of this section gives another aircraft the right-of-way, the pilot shall give way to that aircraft and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless well clear.

(c) In distress. An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other air traffic.

(d) Converging. When aircraft of the same category are converging at approximately the same altitude (except head-on, or nearly so), the aircraft to the other's right has the right-of-way. If the aircraft are of different categories -

(1) A balloon has the right-of-way over any other category of aircraft;

(2) A glider has the right-of-way over an airship, powered parachute, weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.

(3) An airship has the right-of-way over a powered parachute, weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.

However, an aircraft towing or refueling other aircraft has the right-of-way over all other engine-driven aircraft.

Balloon
Balloon means a lighter-than-air aircraft that is not engine driven, and that sustains flight through the use of either gas buoyancy or an airborne heater.
Thank you my friend for correcting my mistake. While I am familiar with the proper wordage of the saying I believe I mangled the spelling so bad using notes to write my response, then cut and past to this forum that spell check decided I said something else. Interestingly though when you consider the fact that "digression" means a composition or speech that marks a temporary shift of subject, other than the fact that it refers to "speech" the word actually fits quite well as does "discretion." The temporary shift is what's important and to temporarily shift ones flight path is always a good idea. I have always told students that a midair should always be avoided.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot