Old March 13th 15, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

I think Jules 970 is right on point. And I can not stress enough, that if you get this Nimbus2 you will do much less flying than if you get one of the gliders mentioned below. If you are flying XC you want a glider that is comfortable and easy to handle, what if you are low and have to bend around a small thermal, you want a glider that is easy to fly, you will build more confidence, you will want to fly it more and friends will help you assemble the glider. If you get a machine like this you are more likely to not be confident for many hours, it might scare you enough that you do not fly...... Good luck and stay safe.

On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 9:15:04 AM UTC-7, Jules 970 wrote:
Hi Surge

Having flown a Nimbus 2B and a good range of other types I would not
recommend a Nimbus 2 / 2B to a low hours glider pilot unless he had a lot
of other handling experience (for example as a fast jet or aerobatic
pilot). The all flying tail is not very stable in pitch and the airbrakes
are rather weak (there is a mod which will double paddle them but even then
they are adequate rather than great).

Like most gliders of this generation it will spin if provoked, but the
behavior is dependent on the CofG position - with an aft CofG they drop a
wing quite easily and are definitely not as docile as the more modern
types.

The Nimbus 2C is better in some respects (fixed tail and trailing edge
brakes) but most open class gliders are not ideal for low-hours pilots (you
dont say your hours but I assume that is the case). The exception IMHO is
the Open Cirrus which is relatively straightforward.

Of course with a few hundred hours under your belt on other types (such as
std cirrus or Janus) things would be different.

I would recommend an LS4 if you can afford it, or ASW19/20 as a slightly
cheaper option, or maybe a DG200/202 or DG101 or DG300. Any of these is
good for 300-500km flights given reasonable conditions and will be easier
to handle, thermal, and land (out or away).

Best advice as always is talk to you CFI - assuming they have a good range
of experience and types in the book

Of course this is only my opinion but hope it helps !

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 8:11:44 PM UTC-7, Surge wrote:
A Nimbus 2 is on the market which I'm interested in as my first glider

an=
d I'd like some feedback from those who've owned or flown one.
=20
I do realize that a flapped, long winged glider is not the best choice

fo=
r a low time pilot which is why I will keep the glider in a hangar while

=
first build up some experience on Grob G102's. My motivation for purchase
i=
s because I think the glider matches my checklist for the type of flying
I'=
ve always wished to do and also because of the opportunity presented

which
=
may not come around again. Due to the fact that gliders take ages to sell
w=
here I live (slow market), I'd rather purchase something I want to fly

for
=
the next 20 years than purchase an intermediate "first glider" that I
battl=
e to sell later. There is enough G102 stock available to hire in the
transi=
tion phase.
=20
My aim in soaring has always been to do medium distance (300-500km),

rela=
xed, cross country flying (armchair ride) so with regards to performance
an=
d bang-for-buck it ticks the boxes. I am not interested in competition
flyi=
ng. I'd much rather cruise around at 160km/h with an L/D of ~40:1 than
blas=
t around at 200+ km/h trying to shave precious seconds off a task.=20
I'd like to know more about the glider's vices or problem areas I need

to=
be aware of.
=20
1. Stall/spin characteristics. How much warning does it give before

stall=
ing and does it have any tendency to suddenly drop a wing and spin or can
i=
t be considered as one of the docile gliders in the stall/spin category?
If=
it constantly wants to kill me (a pilot issue) I'd rather stay with an
Ast=
ir and just limit my cross country range.
=20
2. Pitch sensitivity. The glider has an all flying tail (not a 2B or 2C

m=
odel). How pitch sensitive is it once trimmed in cruise? Is it
twitchy/unst=
able and need constant attention or is it fairly stable and one doesn't
hav=
e to constantly fight to keep attitude constant?
=20
3. Approach control. How effective are the airbrakes? Are outlandings a

c=
hallenge with the tail chute? Where I fly there are usually plenty of
plowe=
d fields at least 300m long and fairly wide (apparently guarded by

farmers
=
with shotguns).
=20
Areas I'm aware of:
- Pitch is sensitive which evidently makes tugging a bit trickier.
- Long wings and cross winds don't play nicely together on takeoff.
- Don't go full positive flap on takeoff as the wing may fly before the

t=
ail! :-O
- Roll rate is not snappy and the glider is a bit under ruddered which

ma=
kes entering thermals a bit more challenging than most 15m ships.
- Long wings and mediocre airbrakes (compared to Astirs) make out

landing=
s more challenging/dangerous.
- Heavy wings are not an issue as the glider will be hangared and flown

c=
onservatively cross country. The odd retrieve shouldn't be a reason to

not
=
fly such an awesome old lady.
- The glider comes with a decent trailer and accessories before someone

b=
rings that up.
- All AD's including tail AD applied.