Old December 20th 03, 02:08 PM
Blueskies

rig up a little spotface tool and pilot off the existing (oversize) hole, Use some sandpaper on the face of the tool and
lightly sand through the paint. If it is just the right size the washer will cover the spot and you will still have the
'chrome' look after you glue them in place. You could probably get away with the spot face diameter being a little
smaller than the washer diameter....

--
Dan D.

..
wrote in message ...
In article , Boelkowj says...

Hello All: I have 10-32 screws with 8s size Tennerman Washers as attach
fittings. The cowling holes have worn slowly but surely and now I know it is
time to fix this vibration problem. I like the size of the 8s but I suspect I
really should use 10s. They are unpainted and not bonded to the cowling. My
questions are 1) I think the solution would be to epoxy the Tennermans (larger
size ) to the cowling now that the hole is getting too big. 2) Should I flox
them in place from inside for a more secure bond? I haven't been bothered
before now with the washers "free floating" for lack of a better word. I've
liked the chrome look but maybe they should have been bonded when I had the
cowl Emron painted 200 hrs ago. What seems to be the conventional fix for this
problem as it will only get worse if I don't do it right soon? Thanks

Larry

Bonding the tinnermans to the cowl is a good idea, but you're right, you should
have done it before you painted, you want to bond to the fiberglass, not to the
paint. You can make a mask, the same size as the washer OD, and sandblast off
the paint in just that area with a recirculating sand blast gun and bellows.
Then sandblast the back side of the washer, and epoxy in place. I don't
understand what you mean by floxing in place from the back side.

If you like the size (OD) of the 8's, you can put a stack of 10's on a flush
head and lathe or belt sand them smaller. Count on a bunch of destroyed washers
if you do, they're cheap.