Old December 8th 16, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FES&electric system batteries

I expect Renny will chime in but, for now, I think the LAK-17bfes,
though there's a video demonstrating a self launch, is a sustainer only
because the propeller tips are so close to the runway. If you lift the
tail during a takeoff run, you'll likely have a very noisy and expensive
surprise.

On 12/7/2016 4:21 PM, Casey wrote:
I've noticed that 13.5m FES are advertised as Front Engine Self Launchers and 15m are advertised as Front Engine Sustainers. I did here of a LAK 17b FES launch off asphalt. I wonder if the batteries heat up more from a 15m launching than a 13.5m? Or if the batteries heat up during prolong usage with either the 13.5m or 15m?

--
Dan, 5J