Old December 8th 16, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default FES&electric system batteries

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 2:21:34 AM UTC+3, Casey wrote:
I've noticed that 13.5m FES are advertised as Front Engine Self Launchers and 15m are advertised as Front Engine Sustainers. I did here of a LAK 17b FES launch off asphalt. I wonder if the batteries heat up more from a 15m launching than a 13.5m? Or if the batteries heat up during prolong usage with either the 13.5m or 15m?

Any glider with a sustainer can self-launch from a sufficiently long hard surface, with plenty of pressure in the tyre and a push start. Or, better, a tow to 100-120 km/h with a car.