Old December 21st 03, 05:03 PM
olj

I've flown power planes for a long time. Sailplanes only 20 years. Soaring has
one huge advantage - there is no justification for it. No rationalizations
like "I'll use it for trips" or other such nonsense. It is pure fun. It is
done as a result of weather, not in spite of it.

You can spend a lot, you can spend a little. In power planes it is mostly
spend a lot. Maintenance is far less on the glider. Mine is kept
in a trailer. I can assemble it by myself in 15 to 20 minutes.

Gliders take more support people. Gliders are more time intensive. You do not
go out to the field for a quick half hour flight, it is usually a half day.

Soaring days are limited to weather conditions and as a result, the activity
does not mesh well with power flying activities. Power activities are
scheduled. You soar when the weather dictates or else you don't soar.

Average flight length for me is about 3 hours. Fatigue becomes a factor
for me after 3 hours and I don't like to go over 6 hours. All "flat land"
flying.

Soaring has been the most enjoyable flying that I have done, from little
fast single seaters through multi-turbines.

In article . net, "Chuck"
wrote:
My cousin just bought a Schweizer 1 36 sailplane.

We took it to the airport today where he is going to hanger it today, and
put her together so the FAA could give the stamp of approval with the
airworthiness certificate.

Looks like the sailplane could be alot of fun.

I have never been around them before.

Just wondering how many guys fly gliders...