Old April 17th 05, 02:21 AM
Mike Kanze

The previous posts by Allen and OJ come closest to my recollection. As a
Navy brat in the 1950s and 1960s I first heard the term with reference to
consolidating aircraft types at certain bases.

Mini-backgrounder: Back in the 1950s, each active duty Air Group was based
as a unit at one location, ex all the cats and dogs. (They weren't called
Air Wings until sometime in the 1960s IIRC.) Thus all the squadrons of Air
Group Nine - VF-91, VF-92, VA-93, VA-94 and VA-95 - were based at NAS
Alameda. When the Master Base concept was implemented on the west coast, all
the fighters went to NAS Miramar and all the light attack went to the then
brand-new NAS Lemoore.

I'm not sure but this may have come about at the same time as (or as the
result of) the implementation of NATOPS. In any event, it made better sense
to consolidate types for purposes of training and equipment maintenance.
--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"Let me tell you
How it will be.
There's one for you,
Nineteen for me,

"'Cause I'm the taxman.
Yeah, I'm the taxman.

"Should five percent
Appear too small,
Be thankful I don't
Take it all.

"'Cause I'm the taxman.
Yeah, I'm the taxman."

- The Beatles

"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote in message
Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a master
jet base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS Whidbey
Island is a premier jet base. Any leads would be great. Google wasn't
very helpful.
-Moe