Old October 23rd 03, 12:48 AM

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message

That if you're not fit enough to be a Marine right now, you're
probably not fit enough to go Navy, either. If you want to go
aviation, the better shape you're in the better. [And even if you
don't get aviation, the Navy doesn't need out-of-shape ground {ship?}
officers any more than the Marine Corps does.]

Is that really the case? I'm easily fit enough for the Naval PRTs, but
I hear that the Marines are much harder. I heard they do 15-mile "joy
runs" and that kind of thing... probably couldn't do that.

Not until you're well out in gruntland. I'm a little out of date on
the PRT/PFT, and they're doing crunches instead of sit-up nowadays,
but IIRC [and remember, I never took this particular form PRT/PFT
until I was in my late 20s] a 3-mile run in under 20 minutes, 80-100
sit-ups, and a dozen/dozen-and-a-half pull-ups would have done you
good in my day. [They were not "kipless" pull-ups. Kipping was
rampant in my day. ;-]

What killed me every other day in boot camp was that damned "twice or
three times around the parade deck" at oh-dark-hundred, 5 minutes
after reveille. ;- [The rifle exercises on alternate days were a
piece of cake.]

My reason for asking is I need to check the
Marine or Navy box on the NROTC application, and if I feel like I want
to be a Marine, a few other important college options would open up
for me.

That's a first IME; that going Marine would offer *more* options,
important ones at that. In my days, the Navy always seemed to get the
better end of the stick. ;-

Well, the Marines have that PLC program, which makes life easier if
your school doesn't have NROTC. Granted, my firts two choices due, but
there's a chance I don't get in there.

*But*, PLC does, AIUI, have an aviation guarantee, if you're
physically/mentally qualified and accepted. [Guaranteed that you'll
be ordered to flight training after TBS. After that, it's in your
hands whether or not you get wings.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

From a recent conversation with my-son-in-law who is stationed at TBS (The
Basic School) at Quantico I believe the goal is every Officer Canidate has
to run all distances at a rete of 8 minutes a mile or less. The PFT run is
3 miles. I believe the the goal is to score 225 points + out of a possiable
300 points. The three mile run in 18 minutes is 100 points, and 28 minutes
(the maximum) 40 points. Pull-ups are 5 points each, with 4 being minimum.
Crunches I think are one point each with 40 minimum. (I am fairly confident
of these figures). But the minimum will not let you graduate from TBS. IIRC
I believe he said the longest timed run was 7 miles, and it was in PT gear.
However they do, forced marches with uniform, weapon, and equipment, of
longer distances. And they have the infamous "Hill Trail". I believe he also
said that group runs (either in PT gear or uniform) were at a slower pace,
due to the need to keep formation.

Red