Old June 21st 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default ILS vs circle to land

The local controller will let you land on whatever runway you want to land
on...but you might be delayed, and you might get the "at your own risk"
caveat.

Bob Gardner

"Yossarian" wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently I flew a 172 to SBA. ILS 7 was in use, wind 250 at 7. The
runway is quite long so I wasn't concerned about the tailwind.
However, if I had been concerned about the wind direction, is it best
to ask the approach controller for a different runway? Or would the
tower deal with it? I assume approach is best since if he has others
inbound behind me they might be delayed as a flew a pattern to the
opposite runway.

I assume it would be poor form to turn out into a downwind for runway
25 without telling anyone