Old June 21st 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default ILS vs circle to land

"Yossarian" wrote in message
oups.com...

Recently I flew a 172 to SBA. ILS 7 was in use, wind 250 at 7. The
runway is quite long so I wasn't concerned about the tailwind.
However, if I had been concerned about the wind direction, is it best
to ask the approach controller for a different runway? Or would the
tower deal with it? I assume approach is best since if he has others
inbound behind me they might be delayed as a flew a pattern to the
opposite runway.

Sequencing of arrivals is the responsibility of approach control, your
request should be made there.

I assume it would be poor form to turn out into a downwind for runway
25 without telling anyone

Probably a bit more serious than that.