Old March 9th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default XM financial trouble

In article ,
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:
Well, it is to me. When the commercials hit the airwaves on satellite, I'll
be
seriously rethinking whether I want it or not. Right now there are two big
advantages to me: I can drive incredible distances and never lose the
station,
and the fact that it's commercial free. When they start playing commercials
I'd
have to ask why do they need my $12.95 each month.

I agree. While satellite radio does provide some benefits other than
commercial-free, the commercial-free aspect to the music station is a
big draw.

My wife and I are planning to cancel our cable television service soon
because of the incessant commercials and the fact that there's rarely
anything worth watching on the cable channels. It just isn't worth the
$50/month that we pay for basic cable to watch "World Poker Tour" all
weekend on the Travel Channel (explain what poker has to do with travel.)

The problem with commercials is that there are way, way too many of
them, both on television and radio. The money is too easy. I don't
want to listen to a commercial every 2 songs, or endure 20 minutes of
commercials every hour because the station plays "more songs in a row
than any other station." XM already runs commercials on some channels,
albeit their own commercials, which are annoying enough. And of course,
the news and talk stations (some just a simulcast with television) have
commercials. However, the first time I get an ad banner that pops up
along side the weather on my Garmin 396, satellite radio is going into
the dumper.

JKG