Old May 10th 04, 03:34 PM
Jeb Hoge

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
Stephen Coonts - Flight of the Intruder, The Intruders, among others.

I've read some Coonts articles & enjoyed them, but never a book. Is he
a really really good writer? Do you sweat bullets when you read him?
Do your eyes light up because you've just had an insight you've never
had before? ROTFL?

Is Flight of the Intruder a personal memoir, or is it a novel or a
history?

Coonts CAN be very, very good. FOTI is some parts memoir, I think,
and I imagine The Intruders is, too. Some of the later Grafton
novels...not so hot, IMO.

I liked the Richard Herman, Jr. series starting with The Warbirds
(characters Jack Locke, "Muddy" Waters, Pontowski, etc.), although
like with Brown, Coonts, etc., the need to carry on a storyline
through a number of books sometimes overwhelms the ability to do so.

And I have to say, at the risk of sounding sycophantic, I liked
Rasimus's style of writing, too. He and WaltBJ (and a few others)
have composed posts on this board that rival the quality of what some
authors get into mass-market print.