Old May 10th 04, 06:47 PM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , Steve
writes

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
.. .

If you were going to name a couple of the greatest writers about
military aviation, who would they be?

I want personal recollections, not history. I'd like names that large
numbers of people would recognize.

There are three that I can name offhand:

Martin Caidin - Whip, The Last Dogfight, (fiction), Everything But the
Flak!, Thunderbolt!, Zero! (non-fiction). Also authored "Cyborg," which
became "The Six Million Dollar Man" on television.

Stephen Coonts - Flight of the Intruder, The Intruders, among others.

Dale Brown - Flight of the Old Dog, Night of the Hawk, Fatal Terrain, Battle
Born, among others. Brown crosses the realm of old-fashioned aviation
writing and science fiction.

Steve

Now you have complicated things by bringing fiction into it!

There could be a lot more truly accurate and exciting aviation fiction
on the market if only the publishers were not looking for the 'right
emotional focus' - cue for characters with outlandish personal traits
and a politically correct emphasis. And there is of course the
'heartrending tale of young love tested by a world at war' - cue for a
nice book cover, abundant technical inaccuracies, and an operational
lifestyle unknown to history.

The demand for 'broad appeal' has a lot to answer for.

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth