Old August 31st 12, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

Default FLOCK OF BIRDS IN FINAL for a C182T

In article ,
Curt Johnson wrote:

On 8/31/2012 3:39 AM, wrote:
Is this right ? Is a safe procedure to set full power , in case of bird
encounter ?

pablo

I hit a duck on short final in a Grumman AA-1B. I barely felt it,
although it put a good sized dent in the leading edge of my right wing.
A few pigeons are not going to bring down a 182.

If you see birds approaching your flight path and you have sufficient
time to calmly react, it wouldn't hurt to go around, but if it's a last
second decision, you are better off taking a few nicks than
over-reacting and risking a stall/spin.

Curt

Best move (if you have time) is to climb immediately, as an airplane can
easily outclimb a bird.

If you have a collision, continue the approach and land, since you
really won't know the extent of the damage (if any) until you are safely
on the ground. Impacts at approach speeds are likely do do minimum (if
no) damage,

Hitting birds at cruise can make sone big holes in airframes. I have
seen vulture impacts that:

1. penetrated to the main spar on an SX-300
2. crushed a wingtip on a Seneca
3. destroyed the left cowl and made big dent in the firewall on a
Bonanza.