Old October 28th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J. Severyn

Default Lyc O-235 How much room needed between mags and firewall to remove mags

"DonMorrisey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello folks. My kitplane manufacturer is ready to fabricate my engine
mount and the Lycoming O-235 I have chosen is near the weight limits
that my plane can handle. I am trying to find the answers to two
questions:

1. The distance needed between the mags and the firewall to be able to
remove the mags for service without having to remove the engine?

2. The published length, by Lycoming, of the O-235 is 29.05 inches.
I have been trying to locate a dimensioned drawing to verify if this
measurement includes the mags. Does anyone know where to locate such a
drawing or know how else I can verify that information?

Thanks. Don...

I can go make some measurements, but on my 152, the real problem is removing
the oil filter. The full length 48110 filter just barely clears the
firewall as it is spun off. The newer 48110-1 which is slightly shorter
helps give added clearance. Of course if you do not have the oil filter
mounted on the rear engine pad, or no filter, (or a recessed tunnel for the
oil filter) then mag removal is the next concern. The 29.05 inches sounds
like it may be from the front of the engine case. What reference point do
you use?
Regards,
John Severyn
@KLVK