Old August 20th 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Al G[_1_]

Default IDs Please

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
46.128...
Al G wrote

"Bob Moore" wrote
Al G wrote
DC-6, a DC-7 with 3 bladed props. P&W 3350's instead of 4360's

DC-6s were powered by P&W R-2800 Double Wasps. 118' wingspan.
DC-7s were powered by Wright R-3350s. 128' wingspan.

Thanks Bob, I was off by a generation...
It was a DC-6 wasn't it?

Yep! We were still flying them at PanAm when I joined them in 1967.
They were used in a "cost plus $1.00" contract to fly U.S. service
personnel in Vietnam on Rest and Recreation flights.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)

Many years ago, at Medford, Oregon, Butler aviation leased a bunch
of DC6's to the Forest service as Boraid(sp?) Bombers. They did a good job,
and I personally known a guy whose house and property were saved by a very
timely and accurate drop.
After a couple of years, they switched to DC7's. They were having
some kind of problem with the engines, and the temps at Medford. We watched
several departures with 1 feathered, and about 10' high as they crossed the
end. Soon the area off the end of the departure runway was a bright orange,
and stayed that way for months.
I over heard a Pilot saying, "The DC6 is a 4 engine airplane with 3
bladed props. The DC7 is a 3 engine airplane with 4 bladed props"

Al G