Old April 16th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default EASA AD on SZD-55-1 "ATA 27 – Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection" Issued

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 12:36:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
There's one in our club and it passed the inspection. Actually I would be interested to know if any 55's except the accident glider have had the opening on top of the fin enlarged as it did. I'm amazed that even one glider had been hacked away at in that manner.

The elevator hookup of the SZD-55 is not visible, so it cannot be inspected after assembly. The only means of verification is a positive control check.. The report does not mention if this was performed.

My old DG400 has a similar elevator hookup. DG, however, included a plexiglas inspection window in the tail so that the proper assembly could be verified. Nonetheless, I know of at least one flight where the glider was misassembled, and the elevator lever was jammed next to, and not in, the pushrod horn. The pilot flew the glider in this condition successfully, and did not learn of the problem until he derigged the glider. Having had one accident due to this exact situation (ASW19), I was particularly careful in ensuring this, and all other, assembly steps were properly completed. Perhaps the SZD-55 could use an inspection window like the DG400.