Old March 9th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Taylor

Default Review of Anywhere Map GPS for Weather?

I'd like to buy a portable uplink weather display for single-engine
piston aircraft I fly recreationally along the east coast. I'm
impressed with VistaNav by Mercury, but it's expensive and large. I've
been looking at Garmin's 396 and 496. I see another solution is
Anywhere Map, but I've been told PDAs just crash too much.

Does anyone with extensive experience on the Anywhere Map have
performance comments to pass on?

Also, what's the deal with the uniformity of Garmin pricing? Isn't
there anyone who sells a new 496 below $2795? If so, I won't tell! In
olden days, when Head skis were at a fixed price, the way to get a
discount was to buy other items of indeterminate cost at the same time.
The only concession I've found with the 496 is shipping below cost.

Thanks!

-John T.